... Continuing Fundraising Ventures established by Dr. Bartholomew Mosse for the Rotunda Hospital, since 1767.
Dr. Bartholomew Mosse, Founder and First Master of the First Dublin Lying-in Hospital (now known as the Rotunda), was greatly admired for his charitable enterprise. From 1750 onwards, he organised concerts by eminent contemporary European musicians and recitals by prominent writers and popular public figures, to raise funds for the construction of his proposed new Maternity Hospital, which finally opened on 8th December, 1757.
Following his death at the age of 47, Dr. Mosse’s successors developed a variety of entertainment complexes on the site. The ‘Round Room’ or ‘Rotunda’ opened as a fundraising venue in 1767 and it proved so successful that an enlarged entertainment complex including the ‘Supper Room’ and the ‘Pillar Room’ was opened in 1787.
In 1967, approval was given by the Master, Dr. Edwin Lillie and the Hospital’s Board of Governors, to establish an official fundraising arm of the Rotunda Hospital. The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda) (CHY 20091) was then formed and incorporated as a Limited Company by Guarantee, without having a share capital, on the 23rd March 1973.
The Charity is regulated by a Memorandum & Articles of Association under the Companies Act of 1963 and is governed by an elected Board ("Council") to oversee the affairs of the Association and its Membership.
Progressing on from Dr. Mosse’s inspiring legacy, The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda) continues fundraising ventures in aid of the Rotunda Hospital, to raise money for research, better facilities and services and additional vital and life-saving equipment, particularly where the State is unable to meet such costs.
To provide a sustainable funding base for research into aspects of Maternal and Child Health; additional and vital equipment and support services for the Rotunda Hospital’s Specialist Units, its Services and Clinics and improved amenities for Patients, their families and Staff.
The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda) is committed in its support of the Rotunda Hospital to strongly embrace the concept of conducting high quality research and new procedures that lead to better patient care.
The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda)
is governed by an elected Board ("Council") of Members. Official Positions are appointed from within the Council's Membership and its Directors assume the offices of Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda) endorses the Governance Code for the Community, Voluntary and Charity Sector in Ireland and promotes high standards in its governance practice to achieve better outcomes for all its stakeholders.
Café Rotunda (pictured right) is located within the Main Reception of the Rotunda Hospital and is run by Mr. Noel Dunne (right).
The Rotunda Foundation (formerly known as the Friends of the Rotunda) receives an annual rental from which it funds the Charity's total administrative and operational expenses.
Mr. Noel Dunne